Shine On

Man dies after eating 28 raw eggs for a dare

A man has died from eating 28 raw eggs in a dare. (Thinkstock)In this year's latest story of disasters caused by extreme eating, a young Tunisian man died after eating 28 raw eggs in one sitting.

Dhaou Fatnassi, 20, performed the unfortunate feat as part of a bet that he could eat 30 raw eggs in one go, reports the Los Angeles Times.

Fatnassi downed 28 eggs before complaining of stomach pains. His friends called an ambulance, but the damage was done and he was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital.

It’s seems like eating such a quantity of anything is a bad idea, but sudden death also seems like an extreme result.

Also see: Cook Arif Ali rushed to hospital after eating extremely spicy chili sauce for competition

As Medical Daily points out, eating raw eggs is generally not dangerous, but there is a small chance that an egg may be contaminated with salmonella — about one in every 30,000 eggs is, and there’s no way of knowing if you’ve got an infected egg.

It’s been a rough year for extreme eating-related health scares.

In early October, a 32-year-old Florida man died after eating dozens of cockroaches and worms as part of a reptile store’s contest. The prize was a $850 python, reports CNN. Edward Archbold reportedly was “the life of the party” at the contest, but then began vomiting as soon as the contest was over. An ambulance was called, but Archbold was pronounced dead on arrival.

And this November saw two other health scares from daring food acts. A British cook was rushed to hospital with internal burns after eating an chicken wings doused in an extremely spicy chilli sauce for a competition.

And in the city of Surrey, British Columbia, a 35-year-old man ended up in hospital after choking on the Indian dessert gulab jamun. He was consuming the sugary treat in front of 1500 people as part of an eating contest to celebrate Diwali, reports the Vancouver Sun. As the contest ended, the man stood up, then fell back in his chair. He was rushed to hospital and was reported to be in critical condition.

Also see: A $16,000 British pineapple one of the world’s most expensive in the world

Contest organizer Kulwinder Sanghera said there would be discussions about possible changes to future festival plans, but nothing had been decided.

In the U.S., Archbold’s death prompted the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine to advocate for the banning of eating contests, reports the Sun Sentinel.

"I urge you to put an end to unhealthful and ill-advised food-eating contests in Broward county by adopting an ordinance banning them outright," says a spokesperson for the advocacy group.

No such advocacy work is being done in Canada. Perhaps north of the border, we feel that how many raw eggs or cockroaches we eat should be governed by a different sort of law: common sense.   

Watch the video below where Fabio shows us how to make the perfect hard boiled egg. 

 

POLL
Loading...
Poll Choice Options