Got a green thumb? While you may find working in your garden a relaxing escape every spring and summer, if you have kids or pets, you should be aware of the potential dangers lurking in your colourful flower beds.
Here are some flowers to keep curious young kids — and pets — away from:
This warning from This Old House says it all: “Swallowing hydrangea is like popping a cyanide pill.”
These beautiful flower clusters contain a poison called hydragin, which will cause a series of uncomfortable symptoms — dizziness, shortness of breath, a rapid pulse — alongside a drop in blood pressure that can cause convulsions or death.
Other less-deadly symptoms include itchy skin, vomiting, weakness and sweating.
(There is an antidote for hydrangea poisoning, so seek medical help immediately.)
Signs to watch for if you suspect your cat or dog has been munching on hydrangeas: lethargy, vomiting and diarrhea.
If you have little ones or pets, consider avoiding planting these pretty