Honey in a bowl
A spoonful of honey may be the best medicine to soothe a sore throat.
Israeli researchers found a 10 gram dose of the sweet stuff before bedtime in a group of children, aged one to five, helped relieve symptoms of the common cold. They believe honey's antioxidant and antimicrobial properties may promote sleep and reduce stubborn coughs.
Try it tonight: Give your sniffly little ones a teaspoon or two before they drift off. (Just don't forget to brush after!)
More from Chatelaine:
- Five quick smoothie recipes for happy, healthy and efficient mornings
- Eight superfoods to make you super healthy
- The right kind of honey can help your health
- 10 absolute best foods to boost your energy
- Balance your hormones over the holidays with sleep, moderation, and protein
Connect with Chatelaine: