Have you been glued to the TV all week watching the Summer Games? I certainly have! If you're planning a viewing party this long weekend, amp up the Olympics spirit by making these fun cupcakes for your party. Simply bake up a batch of your favourite cupcake recipe, then frost with plain vanilla icing (recipe below). Don't forget to check out our potluck party menu — with 75+ recipes from around the world!
1¼ cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla
4 cups icing sugar, sifted
½ cup milk
1. Beat butter in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium, until creamy, 1 min.
2. Add vanilla and 1 cup icing sugar. Beat for 1 min.
3. With mixer on low, add remaining sugar in 3 parts, alternating with milk and ending with sugar.
4. Beat on medium-high, scraping down sides of bowl as needed, until fluffy and smooth, 1 to 2 min.
5. Frost on cupcakes.
For that Olympic flair:
1. Use coloured M&M's (blue, yellow, dark brown, green and red) to form borders around the cupcakes to make "rings".
2. If you're pressed for time, try this idea instead: Use 1 of each coloured M&M (blue, yellow, dark brown, green and red) to form the "rings" on each cupcake.
Here are five delicious cupcake recipes to try with our Olympics-inspired frosting:
More from Chatelaine
- 18 best burger recipes
- Sandwich recipes: Chatelaine's favourites for breakfast, lunch and dinner
- 30 grilling recipes
- 10 summer cocktails
- 15 fresh peach recipes
Connect with Chatelaine: