Known for creating nail polish lines with sassy shade names, OPI has snagged American Idol's newest judge, Mariah Carey, to launch two collections next year — the first of which will hit retailers in January. Though the brand's collabs with Katy Perry and Nicki Minaj resulted in pretty simple hue titles, we hope they bring their famed cheekiness to Mariah's upcoming lacquers. We'll even start 'em off with a few suggestions!
1. "Always Be My Baby Pink" - a soft, feminine pink. The track was released on Mariah's fifth studio album, Daydream, way back in 1995. Baby pink is her favourite colour.
2. "Tan-Tasy" - a golden beige that mimics Carey's glow. Also from Daydream, "Fantasy" was Mariah's ninth number-one single and she performed it at the 23rd annual American Music Awards. Carey takes tanning very seriously — so much so that she hires a personal tanning assistant on her tours.
3. "All I Want For Christmas Is Blue" - a deep navy with hints of iridescent purple. Written by Carey in 1994, "All I Want For Christmas Is You" is a holiday classic. Michael Bublé and Britney Spears both released versions and, in 2011, Mariah re-recorded the song with Justin Bieber. This shade would mimic the iridescence of a butterfly wing, one of Carey's fave motifs.
4. "Hero-bergine" - a warm purple. From 1993's Music Box, "Hero" is one of Mariah's most uplifting ballads. Originally intended for Gloria Estefan, the Queen of Pop took the tune and made it her own. This royal purple would suit her regal presence to a tee.
5. "One Sweet Jade" - a creamy teal with hints of golden shimmer. Recorded with Boyz II Men, Carey performed "One Sweet Day" at the 38th annual Grammy Awards and the song was later listed as the Best Collaboration of All Time by Rolling Stone Magazine. This luminescent shade would be perfectly paired with "All I Want For Christmas Is Blue."
6. "We Belong To-gold-er" - a flashy gold. The hip-hop ballad was released in 2005 on Mariah's tenth studio album, The Emancipation of Mimi, which revived her career. It won two Grammy awards — Best R&B Song and Best Female R&B Vocal Performance — adding to her total of five golden gramophones and 34 nominations. Still wondering why gold suits this songstress?
7. "Glitter" - a clear topcoat with chunky silver sparkles. Not only did Mariah star in a movie of the same name (admittedly, it was a bit of a flop), but the diva is known for loving the bling. With a sparkly topcoat, she could make any mani shine like diamonds.
More from FLARE:
- Olympic Style: Kate Middleton’s Looks from London 2012
- Look Book: Kate Middleton's Hats and Fascinators
- Olympic Street Style: Snaps From London
- Elements of a Tomboy: Wardrobe Essentials and Style Tips
- FLARE's Denim Guide
Connect with FLARE: