Genevieve Gorder is a master at the home makeover. From her earlier days on TLC's Trading Spaces to hosting the design TV series Dear Genevieve on HGTV, her enthusiasm and creativity helps to transform tired, dull spaces into the fresh and inspiring.
One inexpensive way to achieve a big transformation is with a bold paint colour. It's amazing what a change in colour can do to alter the entire tone of a space. Here are three tips from Genevieve on how to do it:
1. To make a statement in your home, try painting with an accent colour that's bolder in shade. I love Valspar Luscious Green and Spring Moss.
2. When putting a powerhouse colour onto the walls, you'll need to include enough highlights (whites and creams) and grounding colours (greys, browns and blacks) so that it doesn't feel overwhelming.
3. Neutrals are important. Use them in your upholstery and compliment them with like-coloured accessories.
Right now Valspar is offering the Love Your Colour Guarantee in Lowe's stores throughout Canada. If you choose a Valspar paint colour, and later have a change of heart, you can get a replacement colour on them!
- Designer Samantha Pynn's tips on decorating a home with patterns and colour
- Six decorating tips for a home sweet home
- Sarah Richardson's design tips on creating a welcoming entranceway
- How to create an amazing outdoor living space
- How to fake a cottage: Decorating ideas from Samantha Pynn
Connect with Chatelaine: