With only two weeks left until Labour Day, it’s time to think about sending summer off in style, and what better way to do it than with a backyard pizza party. Any DIY food station is a great activity for kid and adult parties alike, and combining the popularity of pizza with the outdoor grill is sure-fire way to make the most of the remaining hot days this season.
Here are the simple steps required to execute an outdoor pizza party with ease:
More from iVillage.ca:
- The Best Pizza Dough Recipe. Ever. Here's How to Make the Perfect Crust
- Bacon and Cheese Pizza Roll-Ups
- Choucroute Pizza Squares
- Green Pizza
- Pizza on the Grill
1) Send an e-vite to your guests inviting them to your grilled pizza party. Ask each guest to bring the toppings for a pizza they would like to make, and suggest they tell the other guests which kind of pizza they will be making when they RSVP to the event, so that there will be no duplicates. You will be in charge of providing the dough and sauce.
2) The day of the party, make or purchase balls of dough and separate them into 8oz portions (for a personal sized pizza). Allow the dough to rise as instructed by your recipe/directions. Roll out the dough on a floured surface, and stack the pieces of dough (separated by a piece of parchment paper) on a serving tray.
3) Just before your guests arrive cover a table with a linen and set out the stack of dough, bowls of sauce and olive oil, fresh and dried herbs, red pepper flakes, and parmesan cheese. Leave lots of space for your guest’s toppings. Set up a second table for a self-serve bar, complete with beer and wine stored in an ice tub. Fire up the grill and turn the heat to medium-low so it’s ready when your guests are prepared to make their pizzas.
4) Write the instructions for grilling a pizza on a chalkboard or Bristol board sign:
- Brush one side of dough with the olive oil. Set the dough oiled-side down on the grill, and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the bottom is golden brown and crusty.
- Flip the pizza over and cover the dough with sauce. Dress your pizza with desired toppings.
- Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the dough is cooked through.
- Remove from the grill and add top with fresh herbs, pepper flakes and/or Parmesan cheese.
5) Have fun! Feel free to award a prize for the most creative pizza, or make a few extra pieces of dough and encourage guests to work in teams to create the ultimate summer dessert party (you can supply the items required for this).
Connect with iVillage.ca: