Most people wouldn’t look at the usual things we have in our homes as tools for getting us fit and strong. I want to open your mind to the possibilities of working out in your own home without any investment in equipment. All you need is some great motivational tunes to crank and some self-discipline.
This home circuit will get you sweating and work all your major muscles groups. Let’s do it people! Remember, something is always better than nothing. And a piece of advice…turn off your phone(s) and tell anyone in your house this your time. For mamas with young kids, this is the type of situation that using a bit of TV to occupy your munchkins would be justified. Happy mom = happy kids.
More from iVillage.ca:
- How to Renovate Your Workout When You Don’t Have Time
- Gyrotonic Training for Strength and Healing
- The 4 Best Exercises For a Healthy Heart
- Star Secrets to Shaping Up!
- Why Men Lose Weight Faster Than Women
Complete 2 to 4 rounds of the following circuit depending on your time constraints and fitness level.
1) Stairs: whether you have a set of stairs or even one step, you can use them to get your heart rate up and make you sweat. Run up and down your stair(s) for 2-3 minutes. Watch that you don’t have anything on the stairs to avoid tripping. Stay light on your feet like Rocky in the ring!
2) Kitchen counter tricep push-ups: put your hands on the edge of the counter, get up on your toes and lower your planked body towards the kitchen counter. Make sure you touch your chest to the counter each repetition. Keep your elbows in tight to your sides and keep your shoulders down. You should feel this in the back of your arms. Make sure there’s no tempting food on the counter to get you off track. Complete 12-15 repetitions.
3) Chair butt raises: place the back of a chair up against a wall. Lie down on the floor on your back and put your feet on the edge of the chair. Exhale and lift your hips up squeezing your butt muscles and doing a kegel. Inhale and slowly lower your hips down. You should feel this in the back of your legs and your butt muscles. Complete 15-20 repetitions.
4) Broom stick over head squats: Take a broomstick in both hands, Cinderella, and straight your arms up overhead. Get your feet hip width apart with your weight in your heels. Keeping your shoulder blades down your back and your arms beside your ears, slowing squat down for four counts and then pushing through your heels come back up to standing. Make sure you’re pushing your bum out behind like a monkey’s butt. Try to old onto a kegel through the whole set to protect your spine. You should feel this in the back of your shoulders and your lower legs. Complete 15-20 repetitions.
5) Cleaning the floor planks: find a tea towel or old hand towel and a slippery surface. Get into a plank position on your knees or your toes if you’re ready for a harder challenge. Place the towel under one hand and push it forward 12 inches in front of you and pull it back under your shoulder. Inhale on the way out, exhale on the pull back in with your belly button lifted to the sky. Maintain a kegel (just can’t get enough of them!) and keep your shoulder blades down your back. Repeat 12 repetitions on each arm.
So there you go! If you can’t get to a gym, you can do a full workout at home with no extra investment apart from your time. You deserve to feel powerful, fit and sexy. This is your life right now.
Connect with iVillage.ca: