New Year’s resolution ideas for fitness beginners
OK, so you’re an absolute fitness beginner who has little or no idea about the pleasures and pains of healthy, active living. However, if you feel it’s time to get off your behind and improve the state of your mind and body, it might be prudent to adopt some of the following healthy and active New Year’s resolution tips to enjoy a healthier lifestyle...
Eat more fruit and vegetable portions every day – This is a simple yet highly effective New Year’s resolution that could really boost your day-to-day health. Try to eat the recommended portions of fruit and vegetables each day to keep your body energized with nutrients, vitamins and minerals.
- Join a gym or health club – If you really want to fight the flab, joining a gym or health club could be ideal for burning fat and improving your body shape. With a variety of membership types available to suit all your needs, joining a gym has never been easier!
- Cut down on your daily salt intake – High salt consumption can lead to a variety of health problems, including raised blood pressure and heart disease. As a result, there really is no need to douse every meal you eat with piles of the white stuff. Do yourself a favour by cutting down on salt today!
- Try a new sports activity – If you want to boost your fitness levels but feel the gym isn’t right for you, a new sports activity could provide a fun yet fit alternative. With clubs offering everything from karate classes through to skydiving tutorials, it could be time to get sporty and enjoy a healthier future!
- Curb your drinking habits – As all those festive hangovers may have hinted, heavy alcohol consumption can entail serious health consequences, with long-term implications including weight gain, depression, chronic sickness... and an empty wallet! Whilst the odd social drink is perfectly acceptable, it might be to time to reassess things if you frequently binge drink. So curb your alcohol intake today and you may just save a few quid in the process.
- Broaden your knowledge – Whilst it’s important to maintain your physical fitness, it’s equally vital to exercise your mind if you want to enjoy a healthy and happy life. If you feel you don’t always maximize your brain power, why not take part in evening classes (or even further education) to broaden your knowledge and offer a work-out to those sleeping brain cells?
- Spend more time with your family – Another way of boosting your mental wellbeing is to enjoy more family-friendly activities. Whether playing a board game, day tripping or cooking with the kids, a supportive family environment will make you appreciate the simple pleasures in life more readily. So think twice before saying yes to that overtime and enjoy some quality family fun instead!
New Year’s resolution ideas for fitness lovers
You may be a long-term health and fitness convert, but that doesn’t mean you can afford to rest on your laurels just yet! Even if you have the body of a supermodel or the stamina of a stallion, it could be well worth adopting some of the following New Year’s resolution tips if you really want to lead a fresh and varied lifestyle...
- Try an extreme sport – If you’re getting tired of the same old sporting activities, why not try something a little different by signing up for an extreme sport? Whether skydiving, white water rafting or even attempting a desert marathon, extreme sports will make your life feel exciting and adventurous, whilst taking your fitness to another level.
- Vary your stretches – It’s amazing how many fitness fanatics jump straight into their exercise without even warming up properly. However, stretching for a sports or gym workout is essential in preventing serious injury, so try out a variety of stretches in future, to prepare all your muscles for physical exertion.
- Use your fitness knowledge to support others – You may be a prime example of a healthy athlete but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t support others who might not enjoy the same fitness benefits. Why not use your fitness knowledge to advise your friends and family members who are just starting out in the world of healthy living? They’ll certainly feel better for it... and so will you!
- Enjoy regular spa therapies – What better way to relax your body after a tough day in the gym than a soothing spa session or massage? Treating your body after exercise is essential if you want to prevent injuries and feel fresh the morning after. So don’t skimp on your down-time... make spa therapy a regular habit this year!
- Find more time for relaxation – Fitness fanatics are all the same; they work so hard and exercise so long that sometimes they meet themselves coming back! However, if you really want to live a long and healthy life, make sure you don’t overdo it. Trying to squeeze as much out of each day is one thing but missing your sleep just so you can spend an extra hour at the gym is just plain silly. Resting from exercise is vital if you want to avoid illness so make sure you get some!
Whether you’re a complete fitness beginner or seasoned health lover, coming up with a list of active New Year’s resolutions needn’t be so tough. Rather than being a chore, these resolutions should inspire you by opening your mind to new experiences. So this new year, revitalize your mind and body with some lifestyle changes large and small. It could be the dawning of a new you! Read more on realbuzz.com...
How to stay on track with your 2013 resolutions
10 unusual New Year’s resolutions
Follow realbuzz on Twitter