This oatmeal recipe is inspired by a delicious hot apple pie, only it’s healthy enough to eat first thing in the morning. It’s filled with unsweetened applesauce and apple chunks, which pump up the volume so you’ll stay full longer. Cinnamon, ginger, fresh lemon juice, vanilla, and pure maple syrup are also added in to round out that authentic pie flavour. The recipe below makes one large serving (or you can portion it into two smaller servings) at just over 400 calories, 10 grams of healthy fats, 13 grams of fibre, and 11 grams of protein for the entire batch.
Apple pie oatmeal
This voluminous apple pie oatmeal will remind you of delicious apple pie, but will leave you feeling energized and ready to tackle the day ahead.
1/3 cup regular oats
1 and 1/4 cups almond milk
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger and a pinch of kosher salt
1 tbsp pure maple syrup and more for drizzling
1 tsp fresh lemon juice (optional)
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tbsp chopped walnuts, for sprinkling on top
1. In a medium sized pot over medium heat, whisk together all of the ingredients except the lemon juice, vanilla, and walnuts.
2. Heat over medium heat for about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring often. When the mixture thickens and the liquid is absorbed, it is ready. Remove from heat. Stir in the pure vanilla extract and lemon juice.
3. Pour into a dish and sprinkle with chopped walnuts, a pinch of cinnamon, and a drizzle of pure maple syrup. Add a tiny bit of almond milk on top.
Angela Liddon is the creator of Oh She Glows — an inspiring, healthy vegan recipe website — and one of Chatelaine's Women of the Year 2011. Angela’s passion for healthy vegan food is contagious and she’s eager to show others that vegan (and often gluten-free) food can blow your taste buds away.
- Healthy salad dressing dos and don'ts: And three healthy salad dressing recipes
- Start your day with a healthy, energizing green smoothie
- A healthy alternative to crispy chicken fingers
- Healthy salt and vinegar roasted chickpeas snack
- Healthy pasta recipe: Dairy-free, 15-minute creamy avocado pasta
Connect with Chatelaine: