All of the recent warm weather and sunshine in Toronto has happily meant all windows open at my place lately. The downside is that it's become all too apparent that my windows have accumulated a lot of grime over the winter and are downright embarrassing. When I tried my usual routine of spray cleaner and paper towels, it didn't work and left streak marks instead. So I started looking for tips on how to get crystal clear glass. Here are a few of the best tips I found:
1. Forget the glass cleaner with paper towel routine. To breakdown any built-up film on really dirty windows always start by giving them a good scrub with a sponge and a simple mixture of water and dish soap.
2. While vinegar and water is a popular alternative to harsher chemicals, many people find that it can leave windows with streak marks. You can avoid this by adding a dash of basic dishwashing detergent to your solution. Use 2 cups of water, 1/4 cup of vinegar and 1/2 tsp of dishwashing detergent. For squeaky clean results, the less suds the better.
3. The best way to wash windows is to start at the top and work your way downwards in an 'S' pattern. Then, wipe off any excess water with a squeegee or a microfibre cloth.
4. Wash your windows on an overcast day. Direct sunlight can often dry the windows too quickly, resulting in streaks on the glass.
5. Wash your windows twice a year to keep your home looking its best.
- How to clean your house in 30 minutes or less
- How to make natural household cleaners: 10 recipes from the David Suzuki Foundation
- 25 tips to declutter your home
- How to fake a cottage: Decorating ideas from Samantha Pynn
- Ways to make over your Ikea products and furnishings
Connect with Chatelaine: