My growing shoe collection is starting to exceed my flimsy three-tier shoe rack. I thought about purchasing a hanging shoe organizer, but didn't feel that I could relegate my most coveted pieces into a dark closet. So I did a little digging and came across these great shoe storage ideas. Not only will my favourite accessories be put on display, but it'll feel a bit like having my very own shoe boutique!
More from Chatelaine
- Designer Samantha Pynn's best tips on collecting and displaying home accessories
- How to display statement pieces and wall art in your home
- Modern, cozy home decor ideas: Seven tips
- Sarah Richardson's design tips to make over your basement
- Design tips for a family room: How to create a focal point
1. Mounted picture rails (Photo: Martha Stewart)
Have your shoes looking like works of art. Hang them by the heels onto strips of picture rails mounted to the wall in your bedroom or dressing room for a beautiful and interesting visual display.
2. A basic bookcase (Photo: Shoe Daydreams blog)
Most standard bookcases are exactly the right depth for shoes, making them great display cases. This basic Billy bookcase from Ikea is the perfect size for even a big shoe collector. Add glass doors on to this piece for a more formal look.
3. A china cabinet (Photo: The Selby)
Rethink conventional storage notions and give your favourite pieces a place to really shine in a beautiful china cabinet.
4. A ladder (Photo: Decoratualma blog)
Ladders are underused for their great decor capabilities — a leaning ladder is the perfect platform for high heels.
5. Under a cake dome (Photo: Patrick Cline for Lonny magazine)
I love this idea of taking your best pair of shoes and putting them under a glass cake dome or bell jar as part of your home decor. It's a simple trick from high-end boutiques producing high-style results.
Connect with Chatelaine: