1. “Pick a lipstick with a satin finish so that lips have texture and look alive,” says The Body Shop’s international makeup artist, Chase Aston, adding that anything too glossy will appear untidy, while going too matte can look overly severe.
2. Apply your colour straight from the bullet, then blot lips with a tissue to create a stained effect.
3. Trace along your natural lip line with a matching pencil, then soften the edge with a brush. “I don’t like to start with lip liner because it ends up looking too heavy,” explains the pro.
4. Finish with another layer of lipstick overtop to blend everything together.
FLARE picks: Pur Minerals Lipstick in Black Amethyst, $18. Maybelline Colour Sensational Lipstick in Mauve Mania, $10. Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Violet Frenzy, $9.50. The Body Shop Colourglide Lip Colour in 22, $12.50. YSL Rouge Pur Couture Lipstick in Rouge Pourpre, $37. Benefit Full Finish Lipstick in Espionage, $23.
WATCH NOW: How to create this dark and dramatic look
More from FLARE:
- FLARE's 30 Days of FAll
- 10 Ways To Update Your Beauty Look for Fall 2012
- The Four Faces of Fall Beauty
- 10 Ways to Wear Red Lipstick Now
- Beauty Test Drive: BB Creams
Connect with Flare: